Monday, April 9, 2012

First Album Cover

After my initial edits I took a vote on which was the best album cover, these are the results:

Cover 1:
3 people said this design was the best
























Cover 2:
7 people said this design was much better than the first.


To edit this idea for the album art I created graphics using thumbnails of the hat shots used in the instrumental of the video.


I decided to use the photos from the stop motion section of the video and in these photos something that stood out to me was the beige background wall as a key part of the photo so for the background colour of the album I used a neutral earthy background- to give a dirty, gritty feel which is very indie. It also represents earthy, northern roots, it isn't garish and is easy on the eye tones. I applied a slightly mottled texture to this background just to make it more natural to look at as the solid colours looked too cartoon like.


I decided to use a big blocky font for the artist name, The 99s, as it is quite a short punchy band name and thought a solid, block font would replicate this visually. So I wrote 'The 99s' and applied 10 different fonts to it that I found and liked and then asked my classmates to give their opinions on the best one.


Fonts feedback:


  • font  1: 4
  • font  2: 0
  • font  3: 0
  • font  4: 1
  • font  5: 0
  • font  6: 1
  • font  7: 1
  • font  8: 0
  • font  9: 3
  • font 10: 0





When doing the font I initially used black text but on the brown background this looked wrong so I changed it to a dark brown. When finished the album cover with the earthy browns and beige colours looks very vintage and retro from the 60s and 70s era. This suits my artist very well as their music is heavily influenced by other northern bands like the Beatles, the Byrds as can be heard in their sunny melodies.




When putting the thumbnails onto the cover, I thought the thumnails looked wrong since they were rectangular and the cover was square. I wanted to crop the photos into squares but unfortunately could not as the wasn't enough height in the picture to allow it to be a square without cutting the sides of the people off.


To solve this issue I had the idea of creating a border graphic to put around the thumbnail photos to make them look more square, at first I wasn't sure what kind of border I could produce that would match the style of the cover. Then I though about creating a film strip edge graphic with the square cut outs like old fashioned photographic film.





I found searched the internet using google images to find this filmstrip image which I used as a reference when creating my own filmstrip border using a two dark brwon strip and rounded squares the same colour as the background of the cover which I copied and pasted along the top and bottom. I then inserted the photos into this top layer of this graphic and saved these as the thumbnails to be used on the album art and advert.






This is the outcome of the work I did on Photoshop. I am very pleased with the result and will now get a few opinions and then progress onto producing the matching back cover jewel case tray insert.






Feedback:
Apply grainy filter
Or yellowy tone over the whole cover to give it a more happy mellow tone.