Friday, March 23, 2012

Editing Techniques

Whilst editing my video in iMovie I have used many different editing techniques to create different effects.


One such technique is applying filters. To do this I navigated to the clip adjustments menu for the clip I wanted to apply a filter to and used the preset 'Black and white' video effect. I applied this effect to all shots up to where the rest of the band appear in the video.


The screenshot above shows the clip adjustment menu and the screenshot below show the video effect sub-menu from which I have selected the Black & White effect.



To create the time-lapse of the clock I created a new project so I could edit the clip without messing up the alignment of shots and music in that I have edited already. To create the effect I wanted of time passing very quickly I used the speed adjustment tool on iMovie, but since the clip was over half an hour long and iMovie only allows you to speed up the footage by 200% I had to speed up the clip, export the speeded up clip as a movie and then re-imported it and speeded it up again as once exported the effects applied to the video become part of the video and can be reapplied. I reimported the video and sped up the footage and exported the footage again a few times until it was sped up enough and the clip was short enough to replace the shot that I temporarily used in place of this one in the rough cut.


The screenshot to the left shows how my shots looked in iMovie when editing the instrumental stop motion in a separate project for ease and simplicity. Below shows the instrumental stop motion of stills photos imported with the music added to it.



To add the sound of the alarm clock to the video I initially used the sound from the video if the alarm clock ringing. To do this I right clicked the clip of the alarm clock and clicked detach audio to create the sound as a separate entity. This means I could highlight all the clips and mute them all and the alarm sound would be unaffected.
Below show the audio track of the song and the alarm bell in iMovie

For the final cut I decided to do a separate audio recording using a microphone as the clip sound was too short to overlay over the other shots until he switches the alarm off and also to improve sound quality.